Friday 16 December 2011

Drowning a Car 101.

Catastrophe.

On Thursday night I got into some trouble.  

Then it started raining while I was at work, just a little bit, but then it really started to rain.  It poured and poured.  I left work as usual at 6 ready for a tricky drive back to the cottage.
The M's driveway was mostly a continuous puddle, but I made it through and managed not to get bogged, now I had thought that this would be the hardest part of the trip, but I was so so so wrong.
I drove down the road so slowly, I was practically creeping along cause I really didn't want to get stuck.  I went through a fair few patches of water over the road and then I came across one that was flowing.
It was probably 30 meters across, and the first half was flowing quickly, rushing down the creek and across the road and under the fence on the other side.

Now here is where I probably should have stopped, gotten out of the car, waded in and checked the depth, but being desperate to get home, and like a total moron, I just slowed to a crawl and started in.  The crossing was going okay until on the way out I got bogged and revved the engine to try and get out.
I felt the wheels slip and the care slid back and then the engine stalled, and that was it for her.  

So there I am stuck in the water, not able to see if I can even open the door cause the water might get in, window down leaning all the way out. 
Now I knew that Mrs. M was on her way back from town so that there would be someone coming along soon, but those 45mins waiting in the car were awful, listening to the steady beat as the water went under and through the metal hanging under the fence. Beating out the rhythm of my stupidity. "idiot, idiot, idiot, idiot....."

When Mrs. M finally came along, me sitting out of the car window I shouted to her what had happened, and she radioed for help from the P's.  
When help arrived, Mr.P, B (their worker) and J the other nanny got out of the car half way pissed having had a few at the end of the day, but I said, "I would rather inebriated help to no help at all any day!!" 

After towing the Escape out of the water, the men opened her up to have a look, but it was for nothing, she still wouldn't start, so Jane took the wheel (cause I was way to scared to) and we were towed behind the ute all the way down the road and up the P's driveway that was like driving on ice.  
We were going sideways, and the ute nearly got bogged as well, but we made it back in one piece, and in time for some roast pork and drinks.

But the Escape, well she still won't start and a tow truck is organised to take her to Dalby to be looked at luckily before Christmas.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed that the whole engine doesn't need to be replaced.

No comments:

Post a Comment